Monday, June 6, 2011

DIY Sprinkler

So last week the temperature started to rise FINALLY! It got into the 80's and so it was time to break out the sprinkler for kiddos. I went downstairs only to find that our sprinkler was broken. So I did what every person does when they need to fix something, I called my mom! Don't you? She said,"Funny you should ask because I got this email today, I'll send it to you and maybe it'll help." OK..

So inclosed in the forward was this picture:


Yup. Not going to lie, I laughed and thought it was a bit, um... ghetto. I was in a pinch and promised some sprinkler action. I will admit, it's pretty creative AND you're recycling!
I went through my recycle bin and hunted around for a 2 liter bottle, but since we really don't drink soda around here I couldn't find one. Darn! I did have a smaller version, and this is what I came up with:


I apologize for the bad quality (taken with the phone) and I could've found a better spot in the yard and not the one section where I cannot get grass to grow, but you get the idea.

Materials:

Old hose that you can cut up
2 liter bottle (or similar)
Heavy duty tape (I didn't have duct tape, which probably would've been best, but packing tape sufficed)

I cut the hose about 3 feet from the part you would use to attach to another hose (or facet). Then on the cut side I wrapped the hose a couple times with tape so it would fit snug into the bottle. I then poked holes all over the bottle. I put the hose inside the bottle about an inch or two. I then wrapped the tape around the bottle and hose a few times making sure it was snug and to prevent any water leakage. I then connected it all to my good hose and turned the water on! Voila! DIY sprinkler in about 10 minutes! Be careful to turn the water on slowly so that the bottle fills with water slowly. You can then increase water as needed after water starts coming out of holes.

I don't imagine this working forever (or even the whole summer), but for now, it does the job! It's not ghetto if you're recycling and if the kids are having fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment