Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Simplified Chaos

The past year I have been on a mission to simplify my life. The top reasons: money (or lack thereof), time (again, lack thereof), space (also lacking), priorities and all around feel good happiness.

With my decision to go back to school, sacrifices had to be made. I knew I wouldn't be able to work, go to school and raise my two kids and feel good at the end of the day about the time I would be able to invest into each (I didn't add social life there because it's hardly worth recognizing to begin with).
Making the decision to pursue nursing was an easy decision, although it took me a long time to realize it. It's kind of like the quote from When Harry Met Sally,
"when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."
My somebody became nursing. So knowing all of this, working wasn't going to be possible.

I had already been living with my mom for a few months when I decided to go back to school and, initially, it was only temporary. Not anymore. Think: George Costanza and toss in a pint of student, 2 cups of kids and a dash of divorce....TaDa, that's me (maybe with a little more hair)




With this simplification I have learned to live in a very small bedroom, use public transportation and stretch a buck. I have realized how liberating it is to get rid of a lot of "junk" I do not need, use, and mostly lack space space for (I know those of you who have helped me move in the past wish I had realized this a long time ago... I am sorry, thankful and you're right). I can tell you the cheapest places to shop for _______ (insert object here), take the kids for fun, and grab a beer to watch the game on a limited budget. I have mastered (OK OK, received my associates in) the art of compromise while living with my mom, basically, she's always right and a good "yes, ma'am" goes a long way (a glass of wine and a home cooked meal when she gets home is equally effective). I have worked on keeping the drama of life to a minimum, some stuff can't be avoided, but a lot can. I have had to give up on my love of clothes shopping, but replaced it with my love (adoration) of my local library. I love LOVE curling up with a good book and have learned how to read while I cook/clean/walk/play with kids/etc. Also, screw diamonds... my iPod, Outlook and OneNote are this girls best friends!

2 comments: